Monday, September 29, 2008

Carrot Cake

For Hubby's birthday he requested a homemade Carrot Cake. I am not a big cake baker. I prefer cookies and bread. So I took up the challenge. I have to say it was not that bad.



Here is the recipe I used.



Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting-
Serves 10
2 cups Granulated Sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups finely grated carrots
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground all spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For frosting
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 8oz package cream cheese at room temp
4 Tbsp butter at room temp
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour 2 9 inch round cake pans
  2. in a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, and carrots.
  3. Sift the dry ingredients in to another bowl. Add by 1/2 cup measures to the carrot mixture. Mix well after each addition.
  4. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 35-40 minutes.
  5. Let cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold the cakes from the pans onto the wire racks and let cool completely.
  6. for the frosting, combine everything but the nuts in a bowl and beat until smooth.
  7. To assemble, set 1 cake layer on a serving plate and spread one third of the frosting. Place the second cake layer on top. Spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides of the cake, swirling it to make a decorative finish. Sprinkle the nuts around the top edge.





Yep, that is my cake. I am quite proud of it. The next cake requested is German Chocolate Cake. Got any good recipes??

1 comment:

dharmasongs said...

Yummy, it looks professional. I think you will need to bake something on my next visit!