Thursday, July 23, 2009

Zucchini bread

I really don't know why I decided to grow zucchini. We only eat a little bit each year. This year however we are eating zucchini every night.

When people found out that I was growing zucchini they just assumed that I like to bake zucchini bread. Well here's an unknown fact about me. I have never made zucchini bread. I know! Well now the secret is out.

I did try to make a loaf last week. It was pretty good. Next time I make is I will do somethings a little different. Here is the recipe I made, in blue are what I will do different next time.

Zucchini Yeast Bread

3 1/2 cups grated zucchini
2 Tablespoons salt (I would cut that in half)

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 1/4 cups lukewarm water

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

olive oil, for brushing




  1. In a colander, alternate layers of grated zucchini and salt. Let sit 30 minutes then squeeze out the moisture with your hands.

  2. Combine the yeast with 1/4 cup of the lukewarm water, stir and let sit for 15 minutes to dissolve the yeast.

  3. Place the zucchini, yeast and flour in s bowl. Stir together and add just enough of the remaining water to obtain a rough dough.

  4. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a plastic bag, and set aside to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1/12 hours.

  5. Grease baking sheet. Punch down the risen dough with your fist and knead into a tapered cylinder. Place on the baking sheet and cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes. (I would use a loaf pan, as my loaf was larger than my head)
  6. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Brush the bread with olive oil and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the loaf is golden color. Cool on a rack before serving.

No comments: